Urban Bloom…a tile mosaic for Glasgow, inspired by Glasgow…
Located in the public thoroughfare under a railway arch at SWG3 in the Glasgow Riverside Innovation District. The mosaic is made from Cesi frost proof tiles and sits on a rendered brick wall. The mural is partly funded by Clydesdale Initiative for Arts as part of Yardworks G.R.I.D. The concept and design for Urban Bloom is inspired by:
- A mosaic detail in the ceiling of Glasgow City Chambers, dating back to the late 19th century, the same era as the sandstone arch which frames Urban Bloom.
- Plants that grow defiantly in old stone walls in Glasgow.
- Ornamental ceramic tile art in the communal traditional Glasgow wally closes.
- Tile art in old railway stations.
- Victorian mosaic art on thresholds and shopfronts in Glasgow.(many have sadly been erased from the city)
- Broken up thick yellow and white paint on Glasgow street markings.
- Ruinous sand stone walls in Glasgow.
- Dandelions and thistles.
- The material language of mosaic which inherently transforms the broken…
- Street art in Glasgow.